Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Religion Discussions

posted Friday, 19 May 2006

We've all had them. Its always on the long plane ride when you are hoping to catch some much needed sleep, and the guy next to you finds your yamulka fascinating. So he plays the 20 questions game. You answer. Then its another 20 questions. Most people find that kind of thing annoying. I kind of enjoy it.


I somehow manage to attract curious people like a warm pile of crap attract flies. I think thats G-ds whole reason for yamulka, so wherever we go we can reaffirm our belief through pointless debate with non believers. I've been asked all sorts of questions about it, usually "why" sometimes "can I try it on" even "isnt it annoying". These innocent questions always turn into long discussions.


A couple of weeks agoafter a long religion discussion, I made a black guys life when I convinced him that Moses' wife was black. "You mean Moses that jewish- " "Yup" I responded with a smile. "married a sister!? And he went dancing off. He seemed really excited.


Last night same idea. The circumstances are irrelevant, but the point is I spent about 2 hours sitting next to a very curious hispanic couple.Being that I try answering every question, I knew it was gonna be a long night, when the first question was "so, how are your beliefs different then ours?" So I answered. They asked. I answered.They were shocked. I repeated my answer. They were the same shocked. (this went on for quite a while) At the end of our discussion the poor guy was so confused he didnt know what he believed in, he just stared into space mumbling to himself. I think this was due to the flaws I pointed out in his religion. At least we agreed on Passion of the christ. Well not really, it made him cry and it made me smile. Whatever. I'm tired. Later.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

good work. keep on disturbing the masses.

doodlehead said...

Oh thats right, I forgot to post about the mini riot I started at the bank when the atm machine broke. (Ok I'll tell ya now. Basically it broke and I started a mini riot. )

Anonymous said...

I never atract these things. all I get is old indian guys wanting to tell me about their israeli girlfriend and ask if I'm from israel when I pull out the siddur. or polish guys who don't realize that its not nice to curse in front of a girl. specially this girl.

doodlehead said...

Try wearing a yamuka. Or sneaking up behind non jews with a loud shofar.

Anonymous said...

Ooooohhh... I get the crazies asking me insane questions also! It's so much fun! I basically picked up a bunch of African followers in my last microbiology class - they all swore they were gonna convert at the first opportunity. And the Ethiopian dude said he'd marry me as soon as he converted. Good times...

doodlehead said...

sounds like their interest doesnt lie in ur religion.

Anonymous said...

Interesting, first time I saw your blog. I love these type of religious discussions.

doodlehead said...

I hope you enjoyed your stay please come again. (said in a pakistani accent, like Apu's. u know what I mean, "ID")