Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Halloween

Halloween doesn't really happen in Israel. At least I've never noticed it happening. It could very well be in a little alley somewhere, a few little kids are busy TP'ing the garbage cans, and bumming candy off the homeless guys. I just never noticed it happening. The past few years that I was in the US I dressed up and went trick-or-treating on Halloween. It was unbelievable how much candy I made. I'm still debating going around Israel. I'm sure they know what trick-or-treat means, and if they don't I'm sure a bottle of shaving cream and a lit paper bag of dog poop would jog their memory a bit. I'll probably end up with a bag full of bamba and bissli though.

In other related news I have decided we are not a technologically advanced people after all. We just pretend to be. The proof is in our cars. The fact that there is that hump in the backseat, and nobody can figure out how to get rid of it, means that we have a long way to go in automobile development. Forget hybrid, and vegetable oil. First figure out a way to have the person in the middle get his feet off the dashboard. If you don't know what I'm referring to, try feeding your toes to a venus fly-trap, in the name of science. That will clear things up a bit. Now back to you in the studio...

6 comments:

Reb Y. Brachfeld said...

Try showing up at my door...

doodlehead said...

why? do u have lotsa yummy candy, or do u appreciate tricks?

Esser Agaroth said...

B"H Well, did you? Are you yotzei on avodah zarah (shakhuhah) this year?

I'm surprised you haven't noticed that there are some of the same minhagim here on Purim, tricks and treats included.

(Arabs do not dare go into certain neighborhoods at night, Geulah, Shmuel HaNavi, even certain parts of the Old City, if you catch my drift.)

Plus, consider yourself fortunate, as this year will be the last "Purim Meshulash" for a long time, when 14 Adar (Bet) falls on a Friday.

That means in Jerusalem (& Jericho, if there were Jews there), Megillah and Matanoth leEvyoim on Fri., Al HaNissim on Shabbath, and Seudah and Mishloah Manoth on Sun.

IOW, 3 days of wild parties in J-M!!!! Whoo-Hoo!

;-)

Jacob Da Jew said...

And how is the candy Kosher?

JdJ aka Captain in the Kashrus Po-lice.

Esser Agaroth said...

B"H JdJ You're such a party pooper! ;-)

doodlehead said...

jacob- dont worry i only eat kosher. Before i eat anything I sort through all the candy and give away all the not kosher candy. Most of it is kosher, cuz everyone gives out those little chocolate bars (mm reeses my fav) and the few stuff that isnt kosher is like the occasional weird brand taffy or hard candy.